“‘So we’ve just got to try on the hat!’ Ron whispered to Harry. ‘I’ll kill Fred, he was going on about wrestling a troll.’
Harry smiled weakly. Yes, trying on the hat was a lot better than having to do a spell, but he did wish they could have tried it on without everyone watching. The hat seemed to be asking rather a lot; Harry didn’t feel brave or quick-witted or any of it at the moment. If only the hat had mentioned a House for people who felt a bit queasy, that would have been the one for him.”(Rowling 118–119).
Point of view: Today is your first day at Hogwarts, but because of Covid-19, you will have online classes on an app Muggles use called Google Meet, where you can video call your Professors. You have joined the video call and are welcomed by Hagrid, who has now just finished taking roll of all the first years.
Hagrid: “I think we have ‘em all, Professor McGonagall. Can yeh hear me?”
Fang: “Woof, woof!”
Hagrid: “Fang, yeh ruddy dog. Be quiet now, would yeh? Sorry abou’ that!”
Professor McGonagall: “Thank you Hagrid. Hello first years and welcome to virtual Hogwarts. I hope that everyone is safe and doing well at home. If you have any technological issues, then please contact Arthur Weasley, who has graciously taken the role as head of the Muggle Technology Department at Hogwarts. Online classes will start tomorrow, following the schedules you should have received in the mail. With that being said, it is now time to begin the Sorting Ceremony. However, due to to the unusual circumstances, it will be very different this year. Instead of using the Sorting Hat, you will have to take an online quiz to determine which of the four Houses—Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Slytherin, or Ravenclaw—you will spend your time at Hogwarts in. Good luck, and be sure to answer truthfully.”
Point of view: You have exited out of the video call and are about to begin the online quiz. All of a sudden a loud “ahem” erupts from your laptop, and you are bewildered as the screen transforms into a pixilated mouth. It starts to sing:
“Oh, you may not think that this will work
But do not fear,
For I know what House you should be in,
To me, it’s clear.
Just answer the ten questions,
As truthfully as you can be,
And all will be revealed,
Just wait and you will see.
You might be in Gryffindor,
Where the lions roar,
Those who are in this House,
Are brave, chivalrous, and more;
Where there are those who have hearts of gold,
Though they may be looked down upon,
Don’t listen to the lies you are told;
Or perhaps in Ravenclaw,
Where you might spend your time,
Surrounded by books in the library,
To fill your brilliant mind;
Lastly, there is Slytherin,
For those who are ambitious and unafraid,
Of using any means,
To get their way;
Be sure to record your answers,
On a piece of parchment at hand,
So you can count your points in the end,
And all will be well and grand.
So take this quiz,
Go on, begin,
And you will see,
What House you will be in!”
Point of view: After listening to the song, you have just pressed begin.
Online quiz: What House Are You In?
Instructions: Read the questions carefully and record your answers and the points that go with them on a piece of parchment.
- What is Gilderoy Lockhart’s favorite color?
- Lilac—4 points
- I don’t care—3 points
- His face, if that counts as a color—2 points
- What does that have to do with anything?—1 point
2. If you met a house elf, what would you do?
- Return them back to their master—1 point
- Offer them food and clothing—4 points
- Figure out a way to set them free—2 points
- Let them be, you have other things to do—3 points
3. If you got to choose, where would you spend detention in?
- Helping Filch clean—4 points
- With Hagrid in the Forbidden Forest—2 points
- Helping Madam Pince shelve books in the library—1 point
- Organizing Professor Snape’s office—3 points
4. If you were gifted an invisible cloak, what would you do?
- Use it to sneak around the school at night—2 points
- Hide it under your bed—1 point
- Give it to someone else who needs it more—4 points
- Use it to trick your friends and enemies—3 points
5. If you ran into a Muggle who was suspicious of you, what would you do?
- Say, “Is it not Halloween today?”—2 points
- Say, “What? Is there something wrong?”—3 points
- Compliment them—4 points
- Greet them politely—1 point
6. What would be your strategy to win the Triwizard Tournament?
- Become allies with one of your competitors—4 points
- Focus on the goal at hand—3 points
- Research how past winners have won—1 point
- Be creative by using your strengths—2 points
7. If you looked into the Mirror of Erised, what would you see?
- I don’t know—4 points
- Whatever I desire—1 point
- I would be surrounded by my loved ones—2 points
- I would be successful and happy—3 points
8. What position would you like to play in Quidditch?
- A Keeper—1 point
- A Seeker—3 points
- A Chaser—4 points
- A Beater—2 points
9. What would you do if one of your classmates couldn’t find their pet?
- Offer to buy them a new one—3 points
- Help them find it—2 points
- Give them cookies—4 points
- Go to the library to figure out how to find it—1 point
10. If you could teach any class, what would you choose?
- Charms—1 point
- Defense Against the Dark Arts—2 points
- Potions—3 points
- Care of Magical Creatures—4 points
Instructions: Congratulations first year! You have just finished the quiz to determine which House you will be in. Now add up all of your points.
- If your total is between 10–16, you are a Ravenclaw!
- If you total is between 17–24, you are a Gryffindor!
- If your total is between 25–32, you are a Slytherin!
- If your total is between 33–40, you are a Hufflepuff!
Hi everyone! I recently just finished rereading Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone, and it’s like I am falling in love with this series all over again. I really enjoyed reading it and afterwards, I was inspired to write a Harry Potter themed post. I had so much fun creating this post and I would love to hear what House you got in the comments below. Thank you so much for reading and I hope that you have a wonderful day! ❤️—Rishika